In This Issue
Virginia Franco, NCRW
Happy New Year!
2018 marked one of the strongest economies I've seen during my years in business. Fingers (and toes!) crossed that 2019 gives you as much business as you can handle — and that you have the resources to succeed!
This is where the NRWA comes in.
As the only nonprofit association dedicated to supporting the resume writing industry, our member offerings are aimed at advancing the NRWA's mission to increase industry visibility, encourage ethical practices. promote excellence, and raise industry standards.
I couldn’t be more excited about the 2019 board that is in place to make this happen — combining energetic new membership talent with long-standing board members. Here’s what we’ve got on the docket this year to help you elevate your craft and support business growth:
ð Our first-ever conference at sea (where else can you get a little vacation time in the sun while earning 10 CEUs?).
ð Continued page 1 organic Google-rank status when customers search by “Find a Professional Resume Writer.”
ð The chance to enroll in our exclusive instructor-led Nationally Certified Online Profile Expert and Writing Excellence courses and the self-paced Resume Writing 101 training.
ð A dozen webinars hosted by experts in the industry, many of whom are NRWA members who have faced the same challenges as all of you.
ð The chance to share your subject-matter expertise with job seekers while elevating your social media presence by getting published on our Ask the Experts site.
. . . and much, much more.
Don’t hesitate to email me or anyone else on the board to discuss ideas, concerns, or volunteer opportunities (we could use you!).
2019 has all the makings for an amazing year, thanks to the achievements of our Board of Directors led in 2018 by Mary Jo King and by Jennifer Thornton and Robbie Heacock with Stringfellow Management Group (SMG), who joined us in the fall to manage day-to-day operations and support our strategic initiatives. Thank you!
I am honored to serve the NRWA as president in 2019, and I thank you for your trust. Here’s to an amazing year!
Back to top
2019 Conference — Call For Speakers
NRWA Conference Chair
Deadline for submitting proposals is February 4, 2019
Submission link: 2019 NRWA Conference Cruise Speaker Proposal
Setting goals for 2019? Here is an opportunity you will not want to miss! Presenting at the 2019 NRWA Conference will give new meaning to “captured audience.” This year, we are Charting a Course for Success and offering our attendees a truly unique experience.
Together, we will set sail on an adventure of learning and bonding over a 5-day educational and fun-filled cruise. Departing from Port Canaveral, Florida, on September 23, 2019, ports of call include Nassau and CocoCay, Bahamas. This is an opportunity to take a deep-dive in your presentation format while surrounding yourself with like-minded professionals who love to work hard and play hard just as much as you do.
Benefits of presenting:
- Elevate your status, visibility, and reputation in the resume writing industry.
- Continue the NRWA’s signature reputation of excellence in resume writing, education, and awareness.
- Gain a greater appreciation of your own expertise as you prepare your presentation.
- Qualify for a conference registration discount.
The deadline for submitting proposals is February 4, 2019, and speakers will be notified of selection the week of March 11, 2019. This allows for plenty of time to reserve your cabin at the negotiated NRWA rate. Visit the NRWA website for the full cruise itinerary, onboard amenities, registration details, and more.
See you on deck!
Back to top
Ashley Watkins, NCRW
NRWA Sponsor/Affiliate Relations Chair
Start expanding your business’s earning potential by helping your clients gain massive exposure on the nation’s top online job boards, while saving 60+ hours of research and data entry.
Founded in 2001, the ResumeRabbit job-posting service makes it easy for your clients to instantly post their professionally written resumes to more than 75 of the best career websites and job boards.
As part of our partnership, ResumeRabbit offers NRWA members:
- An online platform where resume clients can anonymously share their resumes with hiring managers and manage their emails from each job site in one spam-protected dashboard.
- The affordable sign-up fee of $30.
- A $39.99 ROI for each client purchase at the suggested retail price of $69.99.
- White-label product availability.
Visit https://www.resumerabbit.com/partnerships/ to learn more today!
Click here to learn more about becoming an NRWA affiliate or reach out to Ashley Watkins, Sponsor/Affiliate Relations Chair, at info@WriteStepResumes.com.
Back to top
Sally McIntosh, NCRW
NRWA Certification Chair
This monthly column provides information about NRWA certification procedures and training programs. For more information, contact Sally McIntosh, Certification Chair, at CertChair@thenrwa.com.
Writing Excellence: Instructor Led
The instructor-led Writing Excellence course is the NRWA’s premier training program. Don’t let another year go by wishing you had done more to refine your skills, command higher fees, increase your client referrals, and rise above the competition!
The next live program will be held on Thursdays from 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., ET from April 11 to June 20, 2019. Visit the NRWA website for a course outline and registration information.
Writing Excellence: On Demand Virtual Training
This program is currently not available, but we will have more information within the next few months.
Writing Tip: Inclusive Pronouns and Titles
While pronouns are not used in resumes, they appear in related documents such as cover letters, bios, online profiles, and more. Using pronouns correctly is an important part of clear and concise writing.
Some guidelines to keep in mind:
- Gender-neutral and inclusive writing has become standard practice in business writing. When appropriate, use “they,” “them,” and “their” rather than “his” or “her.”
- Use inclusive titles (e.g., “mail carrier” instead of “mailman” and “chairperson” instead of “chairman.”)
- Use “person” or “individual” for “man.”
Back to top
Announcing the New & Improved NRWA Writing Excellence Program
Taking Your Writing from Good to EVEN GREATER in 2019!
The NRWA’s Writing Excellence Program is now more excellent than ever! Designed to take writing skills from good to great, the instructor-led program has always been a tremendous value for resume writers. Now, with the start of a brand-new year, we’re providing even more value for both NRWA members and nonmembers.
We’ve added many new benefits, including additional educational and professional resources to support the coursework, savings on NCRW certification fees for those who complete the program, NRWA membership discounts, and opportunities to generate additional income as a resume writer. We have also streamlined the format to provide optimum value in a slightly shorter timeframe.
NEW WRITING EXCELLENCE BENEFITS AND FEATURES:
- Access to an electronic copy of the NCRW Study Guide.
- Discount on MS Word Manual for Resume Writers, an excellent resource from NRWA Member Holly Genser – a value of almost $30.00!
- Free NRWA webinar of your choice – a savings of $19.95!
- Free packet of sample resumes created by NRW- certified resume writers (NCRWs).
- Increased exposure to subcontracting job opportunities.
- A personal DISC behavioral style assessment – a $97.00 value!
$1,570.00 (With discounted NCRW certification fee)
$1,295.00 (Without certification fee discount)
$1,895.00 (Save $25.00 on NRWA membership fees + $50.00 on certification fees – a $75.00 savings!)
$1,720.00 (Coursework + NRWA membership fee. No certification savings)
Registration for the next instructor-led session is now open. The 10-week program starts Thursday, April 11, and continues through June 13 for a total of 15 hours of value-packed personal instruction.
To register for the next Writing Excellence Program, click here: Register Now
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR:
For more than 30 years, job seekers and professionals in career transition have relied on Norine Dagliano for expert advice, practical insight, inspiration, and support to help them get paid what they deserve doing work that they love. An NCRW and valued member of the NRWA, Norine developed the Writing Excellence Program in 2015 and continues to refine, enhance, and update the coursework to keep up with emerging industry trends.
For more details, including a complete course outline of all 10 weekly sessions, visit https://thenrwa.com/WritingExcellence.
Back to top
Jean Austin, NCRW
NRWA Education Chair
Happy New Year! We have an exciting webinar in January to help you generate more leads and grow your business. This is one you won't want to miss!
How I Made $41K+ From Webinars This Year
Friday, January 25, 2019
12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m., ET
Have you ever been told to get more business leads, you need to get your name out there by blogging, speaking, and networking?
Save yourself hard work and aggravation through a strategy that will teach you to create one presentation that will generate a steady stream of leads in weeks, without having to worry about creating new content or taking time away from clients.
Taught by Michelle Robin, NCRW – founder of Brand Your Career and winner of the first-ever NRWA ROAR award. Her work has been published in Modernize Your Resume: Get Noticed...Get Hired and Modernize Your Job Search Letters by Wendy Enelow and Louise Kursmark.
This one-hour webinar is $19.99 for NRWA members and $39.99 for nonmembers. It will be recorded and distributed to all participants. Visit the upcoming webinars page for registration information.
We'll keep the momentum going in February as Ellen Steverson presents her 2-part "Epic Steps to Success" webinar series. Part 1 will be held Friday, February 8, 2019 from 12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m., ET, and Part 2 will be held Friday February 22, 2019 from 12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m., ET.
2018 Learning on Demand
If you missed any of the NRWA webinars in 2018, it's not too late! Past webinars are available via the NRWA Education page and many offer CEU credit. Check out past recordings!
Back to top
Photo Contest Alert!
NRWA Membership Chair
The NRWA understands the important role social media campaigns can play in strengthening our industry, the association, and each of its member’s businesses. To boost our visibility among job seekers — and showcase the camaraderie of the NRWA — we are launching an exciting new initiative: #LookfortheSticker.
Members can place their NRWA logo sticker on a laptop or mobile device, in an office or meeting place…anywhere a potential client may see it. Seeing this sticker will give job seekers confidence that they have found a qualified resume writer.
To kick off our campaign, we are launching a #LookfortheSticker photo contest. Between now and February 28, take a photo of your sticker and email it to email@example.com. Place the sticker near your holiday décor, a pet, a recognizable landmark…creative locations and sets are encouraged! Winners will be announced in March.
Get Your Sticker!
If you did not receive a sticker at the 2018 Conference, or if you would like an electronic copy for your website and social media posts, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to top
New and Renewing Members
Welcome to our new and renewing members for the months of November and December 2018! Feel free to introduce (or reintroduce) yourself on our Facebook page or the elist.
Be sure to take this opportunity to network via our LinkedIn Group with other members of The NRWA and nonmembers who are career professionals.
- Marcia Baker - MOS Career Services in White Plains, Maryland
- Donald Blum, Ph.D. - Blum & Associates, LLC in Troy, Michigan
- Arnold Boldt - Arnold-Smith Associates in Rochester, New York
- Tracy Brislane in Baynton, Queensland, Australia
- Shajira Brown in Laurel, Maryland
- Sharon Caudell - About Your Resume in Guthrie,Oklahoma
- Freddie Cheek - Cheek & Associates in Amherst, New York
- Tammy Chisholm - Premier Professional Resumes in Mechanicsville, Virginia
- Laura Close - Laura Close Consulting, LLC in Seattle, Washington
- Beth Colley - Chesapeake Career Management Services in Crownsville, Maryland
- Brenda Cunningham - Push Career Management, LLC in Laveen, Arizona
- Adelle Dantzler - Dantzler Solutions LLC in Washington, District of Columbia
- Carla Deter - LinkedIn Profile and Resume Writing Service in Washington, District of Columbia
- Sheila Dillon in Mystic, Connecticut
- MJ Feld -Careers by Choice, Inc. in Huntington, New York
- Arnie Fertig - Jobhuntercoach in Melrose,Massachusetts
- Carolynn Gaiason - Working Words Resumes in Lisbon Falls, Maine
- Ros Geuss - Fulfilling Futures, LLC in Rhinebeck, New York
- Ann Haehn - XPM2 Consulting, LLC in Colorado Springs, Colorado
- Jeanne Hanks - Visual-Career-Guides, LLC in Dublin, Ohio
- Dennis Haynes in Chicago, Illinois
- Scot Hulshizer - The Résumé Expert in Boca Raton, Florida
- Caroline M. Jagot - A Better Resume in Tallahassee, Florida
- Lisa Littlefield - Hood College in Frederick, Maryland
- Dana Locke - IMPACT Group in St. Louis, Missouri
- Janet Logan - My Coaching Services in Flanders,New Jersey
- Gail Martin - Dream Chaser Resumes in Riverside,California
- Kimberly Matteson, NCRW - St. Ambrose University in Davenport, Iowa
- Karen Meyer in St. Louis, Missouri
- Mallori Nicole Moremen in Miami, Florida
- Juliet Murphy - Juliet Murphy Career Development in Tustin, California
- Bonnie Negron - Bonnie Career Services, Inc. in Iselin, New Jersey
- Trista Neubauer - Co-CREATE HR, LLC in Irvington, New York
- Gaby Pilson in Los Olivos, California
- Lisa Rangel - Chameleon Resumes in Rutherford, New Jersey
- Deirdre Rock - Composed Career LLC in Rockaway, New Jersey
- Melanie Ross in Ashburn, Virginia
- Nikki Ryberg - Ryberg Group, LLC in Fitchburg,Wisconsin
- Laura Smith-Proulx - An Expert Resume in Arvada,Colorado
- Amanda Taylor in Missoula, Montana
- Meredith Tseu - MLT Career Services LLC in Ellicott City, Maryland
- Mary Ann Victor in Shelby Township, Michigan
- Angela Watts - MyPro Business Services, LLC in Eagle, Idaho
- Jackelyn Werblo - CONVEX Leadership in Southlake, Texas
Find colleagues in your area by searching here.
Back to top
Copyright © 2019 The National Résumé Writers' Association, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you opted in at http://thenrwa.com/
Our mailing address is:
The National Résumé Writers' Association
9 Newport Drive, Suite 200
Forest Hill, MD 21050