In This Issue
Mary Jo King, NCRW
December already? The year seems to have passed in a blink! A veritable legion of volunteers dedicated their time and talent in 2018 to increase member value and elevate our industry's image. A few of their achievements include:
- New and improved NRWA messaging, from the Midweek Memo and Connections news to social media and educational programs. The unsung Rob Rosales and his marketing committee have been ramping up communications to the benefit of all.
And there’s more! We have added new technologies and website content, automated CEU tracking for the NCRW program, distributed national press releases, delivered an outstanding conference in Seattle, and developed a new LinkedIn certification program, the Nationally Certified Online Profile Expert (NCOPE).
Thank you to the brilliant cadre of dedicated volunteers who made all this happen. It has been a privilege to serve with you this year and I am grateful to have had the opportunity. I know our members all join me in welcoming the 2019 Board of Directors, led by Virginia Franco.
On behalf of the NRWA Board of Directors and staff, I wish for you the company of loved ones during this holiday season and a healthy, prosperous New Year!
Back to top
2019 Conference Early Bird Registration
Jean Austin, NCRW
NRWA Conference Advisory Chair
Chart a Course for Your Success!
Early Bird Rates will only be available through January 31!
The NRWA has experienced several successful “firsts” in the last few years, and 2019 just might be the splashiest!
Recognizing an emerging trend in conference venues, the association leadership committed to provide attendees with the very best in professional development opportunities in a new and exciting venue. The cruise line industry has increased its presence within the meetings industry, and Royal Caribbean has a fleet of 22 ships that were purposely built with large conference centers. If you attend the NRWA’s 2019 conference, you will have the opportunity to sail on the beautiful Mariner of the Seas!
Offering expert-led presentations, workshops, and networking sessions with colleagues—plus 10 continuing education units (CEUs) to help you pursue the NCRW credential—the annual conference provides the education, resources, and support you need to advance your resume writing, business capabilities, and other critical skills. In addition to the excellent conference programming that NRWA members have come to expect, this particular venue provides more opportunities for a favorite pastime of NRWA attendees: connecting with colleagues.
January 31 will be the last day for early-bird registration for the first NRWA Conference Cruise. Join us on the deck of the Mariner of the Seas as we depart on a 5-day educational and fun-filled cruise from Port Canaveral, Florida, on September 23, 2019, with ports of call in Nassau and CocoCay, Bahamas.
Visit the NRWA website for the full cruise itinerary, onboard amenities, registration details, and more!
Back to top
Ashley Watkins, NCRW
NRWA Sponsor/Affiliate Relations Chair
It’s no surprise that 98% of Fortune 500 companies—and a growing number of small to mid-sized businesses—filter resumes through an applicant tracking system (ATS) to secure the best talent. Help your clients avoid the depths of the ATS “black hole” and increase their chances of landing 3x more interviews by partnering with Jobscan (current NRWA affiliate and 2018 conference sponsor).
Jobscan’s web-based tool enables job seekers to score their professionally written career documents and LinkedIn profiles against any job description. By signing up for Jobscan Coach, NRWA members can provide clients with an instant analysis of how well their resumes are optimized and tailored for a particular job.
Take advantage of a 20% discount on a monthly subscription ($79/month; regularly $99/month) or annual subscription ($799/year; regularly $999/year), which includes access to unlimited resume, cover letter, and LinkedIn profile scans.
For more information, visit www.jobscan.co/promo/nrwa.
To learn more about becoming a part of the NRWA Affiliate Program, visit The NRWA Affiliate Program page or contact Ashley Watkins, NRWA Sponsor/Affiliate Relations Chair, at info@WriteStepResumes.com.
Back to top
Virginia Franco, NCRW
NRWA Education Chair
It’s been a true pleasure getting to “meet” so many of you this year by hosting our monthly webinars, and I thank you for your participation! I hope you’ve enjoyed our 2018 speakers who shared insights and techniques to both improve our craft and grow our businesses.
Come January, I’ll be passing the baton to the super-capable, long-time board member (and former Conference Chair) Jean Austin, and together we’ve lined up some exciting webinars for the early part of 2019!
2019 Webinar Preview
We are kicking off 2019 with a bang! Here’s a sneak peek at educational opportunities planned for January and February:
- Using Webinars to Drive Lead Generation, taught by career marketing & job search strategist, NRWA member, and NCRW, Michelle Robin.
- Why Retained Executive Search Doesn't Want Your Inbound Resume, taught by speaker, author, trainer, career coach and NRWA member, Jared Redick.
2018 Learning on Demand
2018 webinars are available via the NRWA Education page and many offer CEU credit. Check out past recordings!
Here’s a sampling:
Essential Microsoft Word® Shortcuts and Timesavers for Professional Resume Writers
ATS Two-Part Webinar (2 sessions and 1 CEU per session)
Back to top
Celebrating Member Achievements
NRWA Director of Industry: College/University Career Services Representatives
One of the things I appreciate about the NRWA is the spirit of collaboration and professional support, which is consistently present. New members comment to me frequently that the ease of interaction, helpful listserv conversations, and personal notes of encouragement from NRWA friends surprise and delight them.
Part of supporting one another is celebrating together! I’m excited to share the accomplishments of some of our members this month and hope you’ll join me in reading about the great things they’ve been working on.
Adelle J. Dantzler, FedJobSeeker, Washington, DC, completed recertification for Certified Federal Job Search Trainer/Certified Federal Career Coach. Adelle is also a trainer of “Ten Steps to a Federal Job®.”
Joanne Aughey, Joanne's Resumes and Proofreading Services, Hamburg, NJ, expanded her business to include proofreading services and recently joined EFA, the Editorial Freelancers Association. She also listed her resume writing and proofreading services on “Upwork," a free site for freelancer job listings, and built a web presence on Google My Business and Bing Places for Business.
Michele Angello, Advance Your Career Resume, Aurora, CO, wrote a young adult fantasy novel titled, The Secret Key of Pythagorum, which was selected for publication by Morgan James Publishing, a traditional publisher. It became available at bookstores worldwide and ebook sellers this summer. The book is an enchanting story about a boy that brings fantasy and history alive. The book has great reviews on Amazon, where it is for sale in paperback and Kindle versions.
Debra Ann Matthews, Let Me Write It For You, Clarksville, TN, has become affiliated with Freebird Publishers’ Inmate Services. She has been receiving requests for career services from men and women nationwide for a wide variety of services, including resume writing, career advice, blog assistance, and research.
Bonnie Negron, Bonnie Career Services, Inc., Iselin, NJ, was named Latina Entrepreneur of the Month for having substantial growth in her first year of business. The full article is available on the Latinas in Business website.
Don’t forget that your Director of Industry is there to support you and wants to share each of your hard-won achievements with our entire organization. Did something great happen? Did you learn something new? How can your DOI help you to do the great work that you do? Send them a note! Find your Director of Industry contact information on the NRWA website.
Back to top
Sally McIntosh, NCRW
NRWA Certification Chair
This monthly column provides information about NRWA certification procedures and training programs.
For more information, contact Sally McIntosh, Certification Chair, at CertChair@thenrwa.com.
NRWA Writing Excellence Program
There are exciting new changes coming to the NRWA Writing Excellence Instructor-led Program in 2019! We’re adding even more benefits to the program, more educational resources, greater professional opportunities, and a clear path to help you advance your career. Stay tuned! To learn more about the current Writing Excellence program, visit https://thenrwa.com/writingexcellenceprogram.
New Year's Resolution
Make 2019 the year you become an NCRW! The first step is to submit a fictionalized resume and cover letter sample. Your documents should demonstrate your understanding of the concepts presented in the NCRW Study Guide, and your writing should meet the standards of the The Gregg Reference Manual. Visit the NRWA website to read more about the NCRW certification process.
The Certification Commission wishes all of you a very happy and prosperous New Year!
Back to top
Volunteer of the Month - Kate Williamson
By Robert Rosales
NRWA Marketing Chair
We are pleased to recognize Kate Williamson as December’s Volunteer of the Month. Kate served on the 2018 Conference Committee, where she was heavily involved in conference planning, logistics, activities, and last-minute details.
Kate is based in the beautiful Pacific Northwest in Bellingham, Washington, which is sometimes known as “South Canada.” Kate finds it very rewarding to help job seekers identify and articulate what they already know about themselves and redefine the first impressions they make on potential employers.
Tell me a little bit about you. What is the name of your business? What types of clients do you typically work with?
My business is called Scientech Resumes LLC. I specialize in working with career professionals who are pursuing or advancing their careers in a science, engineering, or technology field, including IT and healthcare. Although I serve clients outside of the technical space, I chose to specialize in STEM because I spent a combined 5+ years as a chemist and engineer working in R&D and production environments in the U.S. and the Netherlands. I hold a CPRW and Certified Resume Specialist credentials in Engineering and Science (CRS+ES) and IT (CRS+IT). Recently, I became a Certified Employment Interview Consultant through CDI, and will be offering coaching services in the New Year.
How did you first get involved with the NRWA?
I joined the NRWA in the summer of 2017, about a year after I officially established Scientech Resumes. Like many of my colleagues, I wanted to learn as much as I could about the resume writing industry in order to best serve my clients. A Google search brought me to the NRWA website where the 2017 conference was being advertised. I decided at that moment that I was going to attend the conference and registered as a NRWA member at the same time.
What prompted you to become a resume writer?
In three words: extreme job dissatisfaction. At the time, I was living abroad in the Netherlands and working in a job that looked great on paper but was hell in the day-to-day. Not only was I struggling in a job that I despised, I was also finding it difficult to adjust to the Dutch culture. This period catalyzed a lot of self-reflection (or what I call my “quarter-life crisis”) and a desire to help people find career fulfillment. Previous colleagues always told me that I wrote and communicated well for an R&D professional. We’re known for being a relatively introverted bunch! From there, I started looking for freelance writing opportunities and came across resume writing. My first experience in resume writing was working for one of those dreaded resume mills. I barely lasted 2 months before deciding I could do better. After returning to the U.S. in July 2016, I jumped in feet first to launch Scientech Resumes, in addition to taking on subcontracting work to supplement my income.
What do you wish others knew about the benefits of getting involved with the NRWA?
This is the friendliest group of industry professionals that I have ever met. I remember attending my first conference in 2017, feeling nervous as I didn’t know anyone, and walking away after those three days with many new friends. On top of that, I have learned more through the NRWA annual conference, webinars, and books than I have through other organizations.
What might someone be surprised to know about you? OR What do you do when you aren’t working or volunteering?
I can speak semifluent Dutch from living in the Netherlands for close to 2.5 years. I don’t find much use for it in the U.S., but I catch myself thinking in Dutch from time to time. In my free time, I enjoy hiking in the Pacific Northwest on any trail that has a mountain or water view, yoga, reading, cooking, and enjoying a great meal with friends and family. I also collect postcards!
Back to top
New and Renewing Members
Welcome to our new and renewing members for the month of November 2018! Feel free to introduce (or reintroduce) yourself on our Facebook page or the elist.
Be sure to take this opportunity to network via our LinkedIn Group with other members of The NRWA and nonmembers who are career professionals.
- Georgia Adamson - A Successful Career in Marlborough, Massachusetts
- Anna Kate Anderson in Evanston, Illinois
- Jeannine Bennett - Vision to Purpose in Virginia Beach, Virginia
- Paul Bennett - NOVA Career Strategies in West Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
- Alexis Binder in Findlay, Ohio
- Mary Elizabeth Bradford - The Career Artisan in Boerne, Texas
- Donald Burns - Executive Promotions LLC in Rego Park, New York
- Paula Christensen - Strategic Career Coaches in Green Bay, Wisconsin
- Michele M. Coneys in Whitehouse Station, New Jersey
- Rhonda Fannin - Highland County Community Action Organization OhioMeansJobs in Hillsboro, Ohio
- Laurie Feigenbaum - Feigenbaum Publishing and Resume Consultants, Inc. in New York, New York
- Roberta Gamza - Career Ink in Broomfield, Colorado
- Todd Goldstein - Talent Inc. in New York, New York
- Nelly Grinfeld - Top of the Stack Resume in Mason, Ohio
- Beate Hait - Resumes Plus in Holliston, Massachusetts
- Amy Harbison - Open Window Coaching/Open Window Creative Strategies LLC in Olney, Maryland
- Wendy Haylett - AboveAllResumes in Fairport, New York
- Tamika Henry - Creative Precision Resumes in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Lynn Holliday in Loveland, Ohio
- Deborah Hughes in Washington, Georgia
- Sandra Ingemansen - Resume Strategies in Matteson, Illinois
- Erin Kennedy - Professional Resume Services, Inc. in Lapeer, Michigan
- Jennifer Klos in Marietta, Georgia
- Frost Krist - Datatype Inc. in Hebron, Connecticut
- Edward Lawrence - Getstarted LLC in Natick, Massachusetts
- Rachel Leach in Charlotte, North Carolina
- Rae Liera in Cumberland Gap, Tennessee
- Madelyn Mackie - Activate Your Career Dreams in Oakland, California
- Linda Matias - CareerStrides in Long Island, New York
- Cheryl Milmoe - Cardinal Expert Résumés in Sayville, New York
- Samantha Mitchell - Enhanced Résumés in New Carrollton, Maryland
- Rosy Murry - Ideal Candidate JSC in Downington, Pennsylvania
- Steven Provenzano - ECS: Executive Career Services & DTP, Inc. in Streamwood, Illinois
- Dawn Rasmussen - Pathfinder Writing and Career Services LLC in Portland, Oregon
- John Sattler - John Sattler, CPC -- Career Services in Palm Harbor, Florida
- Erin Seals in Bedford, Texas
- Alison Smith - Radical Resumes in Birmingham, Alabama
- W. Bill Smith in Brooklyn, New York
- Elizabeth Southers - Resume Writing Services in Stuart, Florida
- Wendy Steele - BluePrint Resumes & Consulting in Atlanta, Georgia
- Alana Suarez - FastTrack RTW Services & Solutions in Phillipsburg, New Jersey
- Sara Sutler-Cohen - Scout Coaching in Novato, California
- Karla Tirado in Apex, North Carolina
- Rachel Vander Pol - RVP Career Services in Escondido, California
- Marni Vyn - Chosen Resumes, LLC in Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Jill Walser - I got the job! in Bellevue, Washington
- James Wangbickler - JamJava in Henry, Illinois
- Claire Wheeler in Daytona Beach, Florida
- Leena Zachariah in Novi, Michigan
Find colleagues in your area by searching here.
Back to top
Copyright © 2018 The National Résumé Writers' Association, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you opted in at http://thenrwa.com/
Our mailing address is:
The National Résumé Writers' Association
9 Newport Drive, Suite 200
Forest Hill, MD 21050